Bellator 233 results: Andrew Kapel knocks out retiring Muhammed Lawal
That it’s rare for things to end well for a fighter is a truism across combat sports. And such was the case for Muhammed Lawal on Friday night at Bellator 233.
The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion went into his co-feature, 195-pound catchweight fight with the unheralded Andrew Kapel knowing this would be his final career fight.
Kapel, however, was making his big-league debut in his 21st career fight, and he made the most of his opportunity, scoring a vicious knockout in just 1:22.
“I’m here, man,” Kapel said. “It’s been a long road to a major organization, but I’m finally here.”
Kapel (15-6 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) threw threw a body kick which “King Mo” caught. Lawal (21-10 MMA, 10-7 BMMA) went to counter, but before he caught, Kapel caught him with a wicked cross to the jaw.
Lawal’s body stiffened and he was obviously unconscious, but referee Jerin Valel did a horrendous job in allowing Kapel to land more shots before finally waving things off. Lawal attempted to get back to his feet afterward and fell face first back to the mat.
Lawal, who will continue as a well-regarded coach at American Top Team, indicated he had no regrets.
“It’s my last fight – I had a great time fighting,” he said. “It is what it is, man.”
The 195-pound contract weight bout was the Bellator 233 co-main event at WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla. The main card aired on Paramount and streamed on DAZN following prelims on MMA Junkie.
MAIN CARD (Paramount, DAZN)
- John Salter vs. Costello van Steenis
- Andrew Kapel def. Muhammed Lawal via KO (punches) — Round 1, 1:22
- Arlene Blencowe def. Leslie Smith via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tyrell Fortune def. Azunna Anyanwu via TKO (punches) — Round 2, 1:15
- Sean Clements vs. Aaron McKenzie
- Lucas Brennan vs. Jacob Landin
- Tyree Fortune def. Chuck Campbell via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Logan Storley def. E.J. Brooks via TKO (injury) – Round 1, 5:00
- Julius Anglickas def. Jordan Young via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Amanda Bell def. Janay Harding via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 4:44
- Kyle Crutchmer def. Robert Gidron via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Romero Cotton def. Jason Perrotta via verbal submission (injury) — Round 1, 2:16
- Christian Edwards def. Cesar Bennett via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 0:16
- Grant Neal def. Jim
6 months ago