Bellator 233 results: Tyrell Fortune stays unbeaten with finish of Azunna Anyanwu
Another fight night, another pair of victories for the Fortune brothers.
The time of the stoppage in the Bellator 233 main-card heavyweight opener was 1:15.
The opening round was fought at a pace that could best be described as methodical. The finish that came a round later seemed an inevitability, but Fortune (8-0 MMA, 8-0 BMMA) was patient, didn’t try to force things, and took his time. He did initiate what little action took place in the first five minutes.
In the second round, he demonstrated he could finish things any time he wanted. And indeed, a huge overhand right to the jaw dropped Anyanwu (15-6 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) and a ground-and-pound flurry ended things shortly thereafter.
The victory was Fortune’s sixth career finish. Anyanwu, a former UFC competitor, has dropped two of his past three.
“I’m out here taking my time, reading, seeing what he’s giving me, and then going for the kill. There’s no rush – my time’s gonna come.”
The heavyweight bout opened up the Bellator 233 main card at WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla. The main card aired on Paramount and streamed on DAZN following prelims on MMA Junkie.
Up-to-the-minute Bellator 233 results include:
MAIN CARD (Paramount, DAZN)
- John Salter vs. Costello van Steenis
- Andrew Kapel vs. Muhammed Lawal
- Arlene Blencowe vs. Leslie Smith
- Tyrell Fortune def. Azunna Anyanwu via TKO (punches — Round 2, 1:15
- Sean Clements vs. Aaron McKenzie
- Lucas Brennan vs. Jacob Landin
- Tyree Fortune def. Chuck Campbell via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Logan Storley def. E.J. Brooks via TKO (injury) – Round 1, 5:00
- Julius Anglickas def. Jordan Young via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Amanda Bell def. Janay Harding via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 4:44
- Kyle Crutchmer def. Robert Gidron via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Romero Cotton def. Jason Perrotta via verbal submission (injury) — Round 1, 2:16
- Christian Edwards def. Cesar Bennett via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 0:16
- Grant Neal def. Jimmy Lugo via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 30-26)
6 months ago